Iberdrola Wins First French Floating Solar Project
- Iberdrola has been awarded its first floating solar power project in France, with a total capacity of 25MW. This project is part of the call for tenders issued in 2022 by Kurtzenhouse municipality, in Alsace, and will occupy an area of approximately 13.5 hectares of the 28 hectares available on the site.
Iberdrola has been awarded its first floating solar power project in France, with a total capacity of 25MW, following a call for tenders issued in 2022 by Kurtzenhouse municipality, in Alsace. The project will be developed, built and operated by Iberdrola on the basin of the Bischwiller gravel pit, part of which is owned by the municipality of Kurtzenhouse. The site is operated by Eqiom Granulats, which extracts and markets sand and gravel of alluvial origin. The floating solar power plant will occupy an area of approximately 13.5 hectares of the 28 hectares available on the site. According to Iberdrola, the application for a building permit is expected to be submitted in spring 2024 and commissioning in late summer 2026. (Source: Renewables Now)
Why does it matter?
This project is a major step forward in the development of renewable energy in France. The floating solar power plant will generate clean energy and reduce the country's dependency on fossil fuels. Additionally, the project will help to reduce the carbon footprint of the country, as well as create jobs and economic opportunities in the region. Furthermore, the project will provide an example for other countries to follow in their own renewable energy development.
Iberdrola has already begun environmental and technical studies to determine and choose the most suitable technological solution for the project and the site, which will be completed in early 2024. Once the project is completed, it will be able to generate enough clean energy to power over 8,000 households. Additionally, the project will provide an example of how renewable energy can be developed in a sustainable way, both economically and environmentally.
- Taiwan's Changbin 3 & 4: Floating Solar Success
- Malaysia's Semarak RE and PowerChina to Develop Groundbreaking Green Hydrogen Project
- Goa's Ambitious Floating Solar Plan: Rs 1,300 Cr Investment
- Ciel & Terre Makes Waves with 11 MW Floating Solar Project in France
- Floating Solar: Ciel & Terre's 11-MWp Launch