Renewables Readiness Assessment: The Republic of Tunisia
- Tunisia has actually experienced expanding dependence on imported fossil fuels over the past 20 years, mostly as a result of enhancing energy usage throughout its nationwide economic situation and also dropping domestic hydrocarbon production.
The country's electricity generation mix is controlled by natural gas, production of which has gone stale recently, leaving Tunisia significantly susceptible to provide interruptions as well as unpredictable energy prices.
The record is likewise offered in Arabic (عربي), English and also French (français).
For these reasons, energy performance and also renewables have actually received increasing interest as the nation embarks on an energy transition procedure as part of its lasting economic and social growth technique. Key goals consist of minimizing main energy demand by 30% compared to a business-as-usual situation, as well as boosting the payment of renewables in electrical energy production to 30% by 2030.
Prepared in cooperation with the National Agency for Energy Conservation (ANME) as well as the Ministry of Industry, Energy and Mines, this assessment recognizes the main challenges encountered by Tunisia in fulfilling these goals. It determines different existing obstacles to the growth of renewable resource in the nation and suggests a number of corresponding solutions to aid Tunisia's energy transition. These include:
- The need for a renewable resource preparation and also organizing structure to govern the long-term development of the needed framework to support variable renewable energy (VRE) resources such as solar as well as wind power.
- Improved renewable energy assessment abilities, consisting of with the recognition of appealing renewable resource advancement areas throughout the country.
- Simplified purchase treatments for power grid advancement.
- The establishment of an independent electric power regulator.
- Quality regarding institutional roles in the context of the energy transition and also a fortifying of pertinent personnel capabilities.
- Activation as well as financing of Tunisia's Energy Transition Fund (FTE)-- the major national funding device for energy effectiveness as well as renewable energy activities.
- The establishment of a dedicated financing mechanism for solar water pumping.
- Greater involvement by local banks in financing renewable resource projects, and reciprocal participation to unlock further foreign financial investment in the field.
- Top developers reach 100 Gigawatts of utility-scale solar capacity
- Global Hydrogen Trade to Meet the 1.5 ° C Climate Goal: Green Hydrogen Cost and Potential
- Tracking SDG 7: The Energy Progress Report (2022 )
- Solar-plus-storage vs. wind-plus-storage
- Research Firm Predicts Thin Film Solar Cell Market To Reach $25.3 Billion by 2030