Record 15.4 GW of utility-scale solar to find online in the US this year, EIA says
- A record quantity of utility-scale PV ability is anticipated to be linked to the grid in the United States this year, with Texas audit for more than a quarter of solar enhancements, according to brand-new data from the US Energy Information Administration (EIA).
Developers as well as plant proprietors forecast 15.4 GW of new utility-scale PV coming online in 2021, going beyond last year's nearly 12GW number. This will certainly see solar account for the largest share of new ability at 39%, adhered to by wind at 31%. In overall, 39.7 GW of new electrical energy generating capability is slated to begin operating this year.
Over half of the brand-new utility-scale PV ability is prepared for four states: Texas (28%), Nevada (9%), California (9%) and also North Carolina (7%).
Solar's skyrocketing growth in Texas comes as new projects push much of the state's coal fleet offline, a report published last year discovered. This year will see large projects from the similarity Lightsource BP, Enel Green Power and Tokyo Gas come online in the state.
Utilities operating in Texas additionally have plans to ramp up their PV portfolios, with CPS Energy carrying out a request for proposals to practically triple its solar capability and Vistra creating nearly 1GW of solar as well as storage plants, at least 3 of which are expected to find online this year.
Along with the utility-scale enhancements throughout the US, EIA projections an added 4.1 GW of small-scale PV capacity to get in solution by the end of 2021.
The fast development of both solar and also wind is driving the growth of utility-scale battery storage space installations, the government agency claimed, with new capability anticipated to more than quadruple and get to 4.3 GW of enhancements this year.
Amongst the notable storage centers because of begin operations in 2021 is the Manatee Energy Storage Center, which is being established by utility Florida Power & Light Company as well as will include a 409MW battery system powered by an existing solar plant.
In addition to renewables, EIA said that intended natural gas capability additions for 2021 are reported at 6.6 GW, while regarding 3% of the complete capability will come from a new atomic power plant at the Vogtle nuclear power plant in Georgia.
- First Batch of World's Largest Tidal-Flat 300MW Utility Scale Solar PV Plant Successfully Connected to the Grid
- Invenergy secures building and construction funds for 1.3 GW website, 130MW Strata portfolio funded
- JA Solar supplies modules for 88MW PV plant in Guam
- TIU Canada combating in court to reconnect solar farm in Ukraine
- Spain's Bruc Energy shuts financing, PPA for 110 MW of house solar