Oman aims to produce 1m tonnes of green hydrogen annually by 2030
- Oman on Sunday presented a method designed to make the sultanate among the leaders in the manufacturing as well as export of green hydrogen with a targeted annual outcome of regarding 1 million-1.25 million tonnes by 2030 which will be made use of to satisfy neighborhood need and also for export objectives.
To get to the objective, the country will certainly need electrolysers with a combined capacity of in between 8 GW and also 10 GW, to be powered by renewable resource plants completing 16 GW - 20 GW.
The approach was unveiled by leading officials from the Ministry of Energy and also Minerals at a press conference in the capital Muscat.
The Arab nation, which boasts bountiful wind as well as solar sources as well as broad areas, has actually selected 50,000 sq kilometres (19,305 sq mi) in the southerly as well as central parts to be offered as concession areas to capitalists for green hydrogen production, said Abdulaziz bin Said al Shidhani, Head of the Directorate General of Renewable Energy as well as Hydrogen at the ministry.
These areas have the prospective to host 500 GW of capacity for renewable energy generation or the production of 25 million tonnes of green hydrogen annually.
Three primary areas have actually been marked for hydrogen production-- Duqm, Dhofar and Al-Djazir. The initial batch of land will be offered to financiers in an auction by the freshly established state-owned company Hydrom in November and more will follow in April relying on need and also competition.
Hydrom was formally released on Sunday as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Energy Development Oman. It will work to accelerate the development of the green hydrogen market in Oman and decrease carbon emissions in order to reach the country's carbon neutrality target by 2050.
Oman will need to invest concerning USD 140 billion (EUR 143.88 bn) by 2050 when it aims to create in between 7.5 million and 8.5 million tonnes of green hydrogen annually. This will represent making use of regarding 30% of those areas picked for hydrogen production and also an electrolysis capacity of in between 95 GW and 100 GW.
The financial investments will certainly be made in solar panels, wind turbines, as well as electrolysers, as well as in the transport, storage and manufacturing of hydrogen derivatives.
In addition to these areas, an additional 20,000 sq km, primarily in the north of the country, have actually been designated for solar as well as wind energy generation without hydrogen production. By 2050, Oman should have an installed renewable energy capacity in the series of 175 GW to 185 GW.
The expansion plans will certainly be sustained by efforts and also rewards that will certainly aim to promote investments in the market.
- Battolyser to build 1-GW factory for green hydrogen equipment in Rotterdam
- Technip Energies wins FEED deal with Oz electrolyser
- New Zealand's Huge Scale Green Hydrogen Project Onboards Partners
- Green hydrogen project powered by solar under development in California
- Terra Sola, H2-Industries form African green hydrogen collaboration