NY Mine-to-Solar: St Lawrence County Transformations
- Kathy Hochul, Governor of New York, announced the auction of a 12MW solar farm project, facilitated by NYSERDA. Underutilized land will be transformed to create lower-cost, zero emission energy for St Lawrence County residents. NYSERDA will select the project developer to make a significant clean energy impact in the state.
New York Governor Kathy Hochul announced the auction of the state’s first Build-Ready project, facilitated by the New York Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA). The project is to transform a former mine in St Lawrence County into a 12MW solar farm. NYSERDA President and CEO Doreen Harris said the project pairs existing industrial operations and underutilised land with clean energy to make a significant impact in New York’s clean energy transition. The project will provide lower-cost, zero emission energy to St Lawrence County residents. NYSERDA will facilitate the auction and select a developer to bring the project to completion.
What Impact Will NYSERDA's 12MW Solar Farm Have?
- The 12MW solar farm will provide clean, zero-emission energy to the St Lawrence County residents, helping to decrease air pollution and carbon emissions.
- The project is estimated to generate enough energy to meet the energy needs of approximately 2,000 homes.
- The solar farm is expected to create construction jobs and attract further investment in St Lawrence County.
- The solar farm's installation is estimated to save over six million litres of water in the region each year due to the lack of need for cooling towers.
- The project could provide St Lawrence County with up to $2 million in tax revenue over 25 years.
- The solar farm is expected to reduce the need for other large-scale energy projects, decreasing the environmental impact from these projects.
- Indonesia: USD 2.6m Loan Powers Shizen JV's Rooftop Solar
- 90MW Brazilian Solar Projects Energized by Trina Solar
- BNDES: Investing in Brazil's 902MW Solar Complex
- SB Energy's $1.9B Solar Projects: Biden Tax Credits Boost US Manufacturing
- SB Energy Funds 1.3GW Solar Portfolio with IRA Domestic Content