Heliogen is likely to cope with carbon emission problem
- The advanced technology developed by the startup funded by Bill Gates is aimed at minimization of gas emissions from heavy industries.
The world has faced a crucial problem: the increasing population requires new dwellings, which in turn requires construction materials. Production of the latter pollutes the environment with huge amounts of carbon emitted. According to Heliogen, the issue can be solved through combination of green energy and AI.
The US startup has developed a ground-breaking technology. The created facility concentrates sunlight with the help of special software and array of mirrors. As a result, the solar energy temperature rises up to 1,000°C, which is nearly twice as high as the figure achieved by any other commercial company.
This means production of cement, steel and petrochemical building materials can utilize renewable energy sources instead of natural gas and fossil fuels commonly used.
Nowadays, about 20% of all hazardous emissions are produced by industrial activities like those applied for manufacture of steel and cement. Modern world is unimaginable without such materials, so the humanity is in desperate need of innovative cost-effective zero-carbon technologies.
The solution proposed is based on application of a huge digitally operated network of mirrors, which directs the concentrated sun radiation to a target object. The developer hopes to achieve index as high as 1,500°C in future, which will allow producing totally clean hydrogen.
The sum of money invested in the development by Bill Gates is kept secret. Neither the Gates’ foundation nor the startup provided any comments.
- Enhancing Perovskite Solar Cell Stability with Crown Ether
- CIGS Solar Cell Breaks Efficiency Record, Challenges Silicon
- Solaires and Genesis Tech JV Revolutionizes Indoor Solar Power
- Record-breaking 24.5% Efficiency in Perovskite Tandem Solar Cells
- Uppsala University Shatters Solar Cell Efficiency Record