US Physicists Solved Pervoskite Solar Cells Durability Issues
- Physicists in the U.S. have solved the problem with the durability of perovskite solar cells, bringing the technology one step closer to powering solar panels in the consumer market. This solar energy news is an important breakthrough for the ongoing decarbonization of the world's economy.
Physicists at The University of Toledo in collaboration with the University of Washington, University of Toronto, Northwestern University and Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology solved the problem with the durability of perovskite solar cells. They discovered an ingredient that enhances adhesion and mechanical toughness, and published their research in the journal Science. Experimentally, they demonstrated that perovskite solar cells treated with 1,3-bis(diphenylphosphino)propane (DPPP) retained a high power conversion efficiency and exhibited superior durability.
Why does it matter?
This breakthrough is an important step towards commercializing solar cells created with halide perovskites as a lower-cost, higher-efficiency replacement for silicon when generating electricity from the sun. Perovskite solar cells can offer a route to lowering the cost of solar electricity due to their high power conversion efficiencies and low manufacturing cost. The technology needs to survive for decades outdoors in all kinds of weather and temperatures without corroding or breaking down, and the DPPP treatment has enabled it to do this.
The next step is to employ the findings of the research team to make perovskite panels stable. The team is further applying DPPP to large area perovskite solar panels and moving the prototype device forward to commercialization. UToledo has been a leader in solar energy research and development for more than 30 years, and the team's work has been a decade in the making. The potential of perovskite solar cells is crucial for the ongoing decarbonization of the world's economy.
- Revolutionary Solar Cell Tech: Efficiency Redefined
- Enhancing Solar Efficiency: Laser-Doping IBC Cells for Better Performance
- Breakthrough: Greener Perovskite Solar Cells with Antimony-Based Material
- Merida Aerospace Revolutionizes Space Solar Energy with Perovskite Cells
- TCI Unveils Game-Changing Hole Collecting Material for Perovskite Solar Cells