TransAlta Announces Commercial Operation of Alberta's First Utility Scale Battery Storage Project
- TransAlta Renewables has introduced that its 10 MW WindCharger battery storage space project (WindCharger) started industrial procedure on October 15, 2020. WindCharger is Alberta's very first utility-scale, lithium-ion energy storage space project and makes use of Tesla Megapack technology.
It has a nameplate capability of 10 MW and complete storage space ability of 20 MWh. This technology can be fully butted in about 2 hrs as well as will be powered by the Company's Summerview II wind ranch, making it a genuinely eco-friendly battery energy storage system. WindCharger did not need any type of new facilities financial investments as it is an entirely behind-the-fence project.
The project, which was acquired from TransAlta Corporation (TransAlta) in August of this year, has an overall capital cost of about USD 14.5 million, with about 50 percent being funded through the support of Emissions Reduction Alberta. As part of the acquisition, TransAlta will certainly pay a set regular monthly capacity charge for the right to operate as well as send off the battery in the Alberta market.
" We intend to say thanks to Tesla for dealing with us on this interesting project. The completion of the WindCharger project is a crucial turning point as we progress in the direction of our goal of offering tidy, reputable and also low-priced power services to our customers," claimed John Kousinioris, President. "This innovation reveals solid commercial potential and this particular installation has sufficient capability to power all the homes in close-by Pincher Creek for approximately 90 mins on only one cost."
TransAlta Renewables is amongst the largest of any kind of openly traded sustainable independent power manufacturers (IPP) in Canada. Its property system and economic interests are expanded in terms of location, generation as well as counterparties and include passions in 23 wind centers, 13 hydroelectric centers, 7 gas generation centers, one solar facility, one natural gas pipeline, as well as one battery storage project, standing for an ownership passion of 2,537 megawatts of had producing capacity, situated in the districts of British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, Québec, New Brunswick, the States of Wyoming, Massachusetts, Minnesota and also the State of Western Australia.
- United States utility-scale power storage designer GlidePath register for battery reusing partnership
- Direct Energy Organization to use some of globe's most significant battery projects to offer California clients
- Arkansas defense manufacturing business flips switch on 2.4-MW solar + storage space project
- Hanwha Energy protects large-scale solar-plus-storage project in Hawaii
- Highest possible SEG tariff launched as Tesla Energy Plan increased to solar and also Powerwall systems