Finnish power supplier unveils grid battery
- Pohjolan Voima intends to make a financial investment choice on the EUR20m project throughout 2021
Finnish power group Pohjolan Voima is developing a 35MW battery storage space project as well as has initiated the pre-planning of the facility.
The company aims to make an investment choice on the project, valued at EUR20m, throughout 2021.
The objective of the battery project is to boost the flexibility of the electricity system, to guard the operation of the power system in the event of a disruption and also to support hydropower generation.
In the project, the batteries will be able to feed a maximum of 35MW into the system for around one hour.
Pohjolan Voima innovation and also projects head Jarmo Tervo said: "By splitting the adjustment between the battery as well as the generator, the very best functions of both can be made use of as well as efficient in bringing flexibility to the system.
" At the same time, the wear and also power of hydropower machinery will be decreased and also financial savings will certainly be made in the upkeep expenses of hydropower.
" The battery is at its finest in rapid regulation, while hydropower is the most inexpensive method to keep energy."
He included: "The exercise of batteries is brand-new innovation for Pohjolan Voima, where we will find out brand-new things together about the energy storage space of the future. It is essential to us that this project sustains the development of carbon dioxide-neutral production."
In addition to the battery capacity now under design, Pohjolan Voi has a choice to expand the battery solution as needed.
Pohjolan Voima creates approximately one fifth of Finland's power manufacturing and also the electrical energy it generates is 96% carbon neutral.
The business intends to accomplish 99% carbon dioxide neutral power manufacturing by 2025.
- World first principle for rechargeable cement-based batteries
- Hitachi ABB Power Grids Gives Battery Storage Space Tech to Thailand
- Australian distribution network team suggests 1.1 GW of batteries to allow Renewable Energy Zones
- Scientists establish method for boosting the capacity of next-generation metal-ion battery cathode materials
- Spain might release 3.5 GW of additional self-consumption PV thanks to brand-new gives