Total Eren & Gransolar To Develop 14.8 MWp Microgrid Project In Galapagos Islands
- The structure os a solar powered project on the Galapagos rates, as the islands are a variety hotspot, immortalised by Charles Darwin in his theory of evolution.
- Islands throughout the world that are usually based on nonrenewable fuel sources for apparent factors until lately, will profit widely from a sustainable shift much faster to cut prices and also tidy up the environment.
French energy significant Total Eren, and also Gransolar, an Ecuadorian developer have announced the joint design, advancement, financing, construction, and procedure of a microgrid project in the Galápagos Islands.
The Galapagos, A World Heritage Site
The E-Quator Energy project will certainly integrate a 14.8 MWp solar photovoltaic plant with a 40.9 MWh electrical energy storage capability. Located in the Galápagos Islands, proclaimed by UNESCO as a Natural World Heritage Site, the project will allow an increase of the share of renewables in the regional power consumption from 15% to up to 70%.
The E-Quator project-- formerly referred to as "Conolophus"-- was released by Gransolar in September 2018 as an exclusive campaign. The project was presented to the Ecuadorian Ministry of Energy and also Nongransolar, solar plant in galapagos islandsRenewable Natural Resources that made a decision to hold a Public Selection Process (Proceso Público de Selección) in March 2020. Total Eren signed up with Gransolar's effort in July 2020 to join the process, throughout which five business were shortlisted by the Federal government of Ecuadoar. On September 8th,2021, Total Eren as well as Gransolar were officially granted the project. The Partners will interact through a 50/50 joint venture company, "E-Quator Energy", which will authorize the concession arrangement for 25 years with the Ecuadorian authorities.
This microgrid will incorporate 4 parts:
- A 14.8 MWp solar photovoltaic solar farm to be located on a former armed forces air base, on the Baltra Island;
- 2 Battery Energy Service Systems (BESS) combined with the solar farm for a total discharge capacity of 40.9 MWh in Baltra Island and Santa Cruz Island;
- A 44 kilometres sub-transmission line adjoining Baltra Island and also Santa Cruz Island;
- Ultimately, a Microgrid Controller which will certainly run the send off of all the energy generation possessions in the archipelago.
Today, 85% of the Galápagos Islands' electricity usage depends on fossil fuels. The E-Quator project will enhance the supply of electrical energy created with renewable resource sources to approximately 70%, while lowering diesel imports and intake by roughly 1.6 million barrels annually.
The Galapagos Islands were declared as a Natural World Heritage Site by UNESCO and are widely known for their plentiful wildlife. The Partners are devoted to make certain that all steps of advancement, construction as well as operation of the project be made with the highest possible treatment and also interest paid to the one-of-a-kind regional biodiversity of the Archipelago.
In parallel, the project received on December 8th, 2021, the assistance of both Ecuadorian and French federal governments, with the signature in Quito of a Declaration of Intent by the French Minister for Foreign Trade and also Economic Attractiveness, M. Franck Riester, the Ecuadorian Minister of Production, M.Julio José Prado, as well as the Ecuadorian Minister of Energy and also Non-Renewable Natural Resources, M. Juan Carlos Bermeo.
Pablo López, General Manager of Gransolar commented: "It has been 5 years of effort to develop this characteristic project with the purpose of saving the atmosphere. As an Ecuadorian business, we really feel an added degree of duty to speed up sustainable projects in the country, particularly in a place as one-of-a-kind as the Galápagos Islands.
Island countries and regions have been a special focus of the ISA as well in terms of reducing fossil fuel use as well as replacing it with renewable energy, primarily solar.
About Total Eren
Established in 2012 by Pâris Mouratoglou as well as David Corchia, Total Eren develops, finances, builds and also operates renewable resource power plants (solar, wind, hydro) representing a gross capacity of more than 3,500 MW in operation or unfinished worldwide.