RWE's 35-MW Battery Storage: Powering the Future
- RWE is investing EUR 24 million in a battery storage project in Eemshaven, the Netherlands, with an installed power capacity of 35 MW and a storage capacity of 41 MWh. The project is an important step towards integrating wind energy into the Dutch energy system and further expands RWE's advanced battery storage portfolio.
RWE has made a final investment decision to construct a Dutch battery storage project at its biomass plant in Eemshaven. It will have an installed power capacity of 35 MW and a storage capacity of 41 MWh, with 110 lithium-ion battery racks. The total investment for the project is approximately EUR 24 million. RWE said this project is an important step towards a portfolio of innovative demand assets that can integrate weather-related fluctuating power generated from the “OranjeWind” offshore wind farm into the Dutch energy system. The battery storage facility can operate at its installed capacity of 35 MW for over an hour, and will be virtually coupled across technologies with RWE power plants in the Netherlands.
RWE is a leader in the development, building, and operation of battery storage systems around the world. By 2030, the company plans to build more than three gigawatts of batteries. In Germany, RWE commissioned its mega battery in Lingen and Werne, with a total capacity of 117 MW, at the beginning of 2023, and a 220-MW battery storage system is under construction at two power plants. RWE also recently acquired a British developer with an advanced development pipeline of 2.3 gigawatts of battery storage projects, and won an Australian tender for a long-term battery storage facility.
What Funding Will Enfinity Global Inc Receive from ICG?
- Enfinity Global Inc will receive funding from ICG, the infrastructure and energy fund, and its investors, to construct the battery storage project in Eemshaven.
- The funding from ICG is part of a EUR 24 million investment for the project, which is expected to be completed by the end of 2021.
- ICG's investment will help RWE to develop the battery storage system and integrate it with RWE power plants in the Netherlands.
- The investment is in line with ICG's commitment to accelerate the energy transition by supporting projects such as battery storage facilities.
- ICG's funding will also help Enfinity Global Inc to take on additional battery storage projects and expand its portfolio of innovative demand assets.