City of Chicago to obtain power from 593-MW solar complex
- The City of Chicago has actually devoted to acquiring electricity from a 593-MW solar farm had by Swift Current Energy under a long-lasting offer supporting its objective to cut greenhouse gas emissions by 62% by 2040.
The purchase will certainly occur via a power purchase contract (PPA) in between the City as well as electricity merchant Constellation Energy Corp (NASDAQ: CEG), Mayor Lori Lightfoot announced on Monday. The agreement will certainly be in force for a preliminary five-year term, beginning in 2025.
The contracted electricity will be sourced from Swift Current Energy's Double Black Diamond photovoltaic (PV) complex as well as will partly cover the intake of city flight terminals, a library centre as well as a water purification plant.
The PPA, signed after a competitive procurement process released two years back, aligns with Chicago's goal to buy 100% renewable energy for all City facilities and operations by 2025, to be more backed by the acquisition of Renewable Energy Credits from other sources.
Being built in downstate Sangamon and Morgan counties, the Double Black Diamond solar farm is anticipated to produce enough power to provide greater than 100,000 residences every year. Its construction is due to begin prior to completion of this year as well as take 24 months.
Other significant organisations in Illinois, apart from the City of Chicago, will certainly additionally purchase electrical energy from the huge PV farm, according to the statement.
- Statkraft lined up as green power provider for Czech manganese project
- Sonnedix, Statkraft indicator PPAs for solar energy in Italy
- Soltage starts 28-MW solar project on land owned by Cincinnati Zoo
- Voltalia signs 30-MW solar PPA with Leroy Merlin
- Spain's Enfinity Global to Acquire 400 MW Solar Projects in United States