US community solar industry increased by policy support from states
- Community solar release in the US is readied to be increased by support programmes and clean energy commitments from state governments, according to research from Wood Mackenzie, which has actually raised its install projections in spite of interconnection challenges facing the sector.
The study company said an added 4.5 GW of community solar is set to be included the US in the next 5 years, a 9% boost on its previous forecast.
Forecasts for states such as New Jersey, New York, Illinois and also Colorado have all been raised thanks to upgraded and expanded programs and also clean energy commitments.
The research study was executed in collaboration with the Coalition for Community Solar Access (CCSA), whose CEO, Jeff Cramer, claimed the United States is just scratching the surface of how much community solar is needed to meet customer demand and state and also government energy goals.
" The community solar industry continues to experience a considerable duration of development as customers, small businesses and policymakers become aware the economic benefits as well as cost savings community solar provides."
Adhering To New Mexico and also Delaware, which both passed legislation in 2021 for new or enhanced community solar programmes, states such as Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan as well as Ohio have proposed expenses for community solar that are functioning their method through state legislatures. If passed, they would certainly stand for a considerable increase in forecasts, Wood Mackenzie stated.
State progress follows the United States Department of Energy revealed a target last year to have actually 26GW of installed community solar capacity by 2025. To reach that objective, the department is providing cost-free aid to participants of the new National Community Solar Partnership, a coalition of stakeholders functioning to expand access to budget friendly community solar to United States households.
Despite the general jump in deployment projections, Wood Mackenzie claimed community solar forecasts in Minnesota and Maryland have decreased due to proceeded siting challenges, while the outlook for Massachusetts and Maine have actually additionally been modified downwards as a result of interconnection hold-ups.
As community solar penetrates even more markets, projects will certainly need to emulate interconnection challenges due to grid blockage as well as outdated facilities, stated Wood Mackenzie expert Rachel Goldstein.
"Maine as well as Massachusetts are experiencing the complexities that come with interconnection studies as well as upgrade cost allotment choices. These processes result in delays and also trigger project attrition because of set you back uncertainties," she stated, adding that these grid challenges could be seen in various other US states.
- Solar power UK hails phones call to speed up solar connections
- New renewables law in Serbia limits connection capacity to keep grid stable
- Biden Threatens to Veto Bill to Lift Moratorium on Solar Tariffs
- Maryland bill to permanently expand community solar awaits governor's signature
- Bipartisan Michigan legislators present community solar-enabling legislation