Study on Perovskite-CIGS Tandem Solar Cells Yields 24.9% Performance
- In a joint project with Prof. Yang, the engineers showed a four-terminal perovskite-CIGS tandem solar cell. It is based on a perovskite top cell that has actually been maximized for assimilation with Midsummer's CIGS cells that are made use of in their commercial suite of BIPV products.
Based upon a commercial copper indium gallium selenide (CIGS) solar cell, engineers from Midsummer, by joining researchers at Prof. Yang Yang's lab of University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), have demonstrated a four-terminal perovskite-CIGS tandem solar cell getting to 24.9 percent efficiency.
Midsummer is a leading Swedish developer as well as producer of thin film CIGS solar cells. In a joint project with Prof. Yang, the engineers demonstrated a four-terminal perovskite-CIGS tandem solar cell. It is based upon a perovskite leading cell that has actually been enhanced for combination with Midsummer's CIGS cells that are used in their commercial suite of BIPV products.
The cell has actually shown a performance of 24.9 percent as a four-terminal gadget architecture. It includes a leading layer of broad bandgap perovskite cell and also a bottom layer of the CIGS cell. The research study continues with the purpose of a two-terminal perovskite-CIGS cell which will make this particular solar cell very competitive and also ideal for mass production.
This work reveals the expediency of constructing a tandem cell on a development manufacturing tried and tested procedure created at Midsummer and utilizing the Midsummer DUO machine. The DUO manufacturing system created by Midsummer gives high performance CIGS solar cells with measurements of 156 mm x 156 mm on a flexible stainless steel substratum. This form aspect is preferably fit for subsequent handling of perovskite films on the business's current BIPV item suite.
" We really feel fortunate to be working with Professor Yang's team at UCLA which has demonstrated key developments in perovskites," said Leon Chiu, President, Pioneer Materials, Inc. which is a key provider for compound sputtering targets used in Midsummer's story handling for CIGS on stainless steel. "Incorporating Midsummer's manufacturing confirmed CIGS processing with Yang's Lab customized perovskite shows a clear course towards expanding the reach of BIPV by enhancing efficiency as well as lowering expenses."
"Perovskite-CIGS tandem cells have wonderful future potential and Midsummer's photovoltaic panel layout has by far the most effective conditions for constructing a commercial product for this type of photovoltaic panel, e.g given that it contains a diode in between each solar cell," comments Sven Lindström, CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER, Midsummer.
- Uppsala University Shatters Solar Cell Efficiency Record
- Revolutionary Inverted Perovskite Solar Cell Achieves 25.6% Efficiency
- Breakthrough: Triple-Junction Perovskite-Silicon Solar Cell Hits 24.4%
- Breakthrough: Semi-Transparent Solar Cells Achieve 21.68% Efficiency
- Zinc Additives Boost Efficiency of Perovskite Solar Minimodules