Mitsubishi Power and also Powin Partner to Enhance California's Grid Reliability with 2 Battery Power Storage Projects
- Southern Power has awarded Mitsubishi Power Americas, Inc. and also Powin, LLC an order for 2 utility-scale battery power storage system (BESS) projects totaling 640 megawatt hrs (MWh). These projects will enhance California's grid reliability with added flexible source capability for integrating periodic renewable resource right into the grid.
The BESS projects are among the very first collocated solar as well as storage space projects in California and stand for a few of the largest retrofits of solar and also storage in The United States and Canada to day. They are designed for a 20-year life process as well as four hrs of power storage period. Southern Power's 205 megawatt (MW) Garland Solar Facility in Kern County will include 88 MW and 352 MWh of energy storage space, and also its 204 MW Tranquillity Solar Facility in Fresno County will add 72 MW and 288 MWh. Both projects are set up ahead online in 2021.
The energy storage space projects will be owned in collaboration with AIP Administration as well as Global Atlantic Financial Team, both of which have existing possession interests in the Garland and also Tranquillity solar facilities that went into commercial operation in 2016. Southern Power runs the solar projects and also will certainly be accountable for operating the energy storage projects upon conclusion.
These two power storage projects straighten with Southern Power's growth technique of creating and also acquiring projects covered by lasting agreements with solid credit score counterparties.
Geoff Brown, CEO of Powin, claimed, "We delight in to continue our connection with Mitsubishi Power and to have actually been selected as a relied on partner by Southern Power to supply BESS over the long-lasting for the Garland and also Tranquillity projects. This award highlights the truth that massive solar PV coupled with energy storage is expense affordable. We applaud Southern Power for taking this step toward assisting California meet its clean energy objectives with power storage."
Tom Cornell, Senior Vice Head Of State of Mitsubishi Power's NEXT claimed, "Mitsubishi Power is thrilled to take advantage of our network of capabilities in the Americas and also around the world to bring low carbon services to Southern Power. These battery energy storage projects, which will certainly utilize lithium iron phosphate modern technology, fit within our vision to offer brief- as well as long-term energy storage options that consist of lithium ion, hydrogen, and also various other emerging storage modern technologies. We are proud to offer Southern Power with an energy storage space option to enhance the reliability of California's electric power grid. Together with our clients and partners, we are developing a Modification in Power."
- FRV to develop solar-plus-storage plant in Australia
- Australia's H2 Trade May be Worth US$ 90 billion in 2050: WoodMac
- Falck to get 60% of Italian power storage firm
- Rio Tinto studies eco-friendly hydrogen potential in Australia
- Researchers uncover how oxygen loss saps a lithium-ion battery's voltage