GenusPlus Secures AUD 90M in WA Battery Project
- GenusPlus Group proudly awarded $90M AUD contract for civil & electrical works at the 200-MW/800-MWh Kwinana Battery Stage Two. Installation and commissioning of 300 battery units and 72 inverters to create Western Australia's second grid-scale energy storage system. Onsite works started in July 2021, operational by 2024.
GenusPlus Group has been awarded a AUD 90 million contract to handle civil and electrical balance of plant works at the 200-MW/800-MWh Kwinana Battery Stage Two (KBESS2) project in Western Australia. The project includes the installation and commissioning of almost 300 battery container units and 72 inverters supplied by Contemporary Amperex Technology Co Ltd. KBESS2 will be Western Australia's second grid-scale energy storage system, located in the former gas-fired power station in Kwinana. Onsite works have started in July and the battery is expected to be operational by late 2024.
What Impact Will the AUD 90M Kwinana Battery Stage Two Project Have?
- The AUD 90M Kwinana Battery Stage Two (KBESS2) project will provide 200 megawatts (MW) of energy storage, enough to power over 40,000 homes.
- It is expected to reduce energy costs for consumers by providing cheaper, more reliable energy during peak demand times.
- The project is expected to create over 50 new jobs and provide an opportunity for local businesses in the area to benefit from the development.
- The storage system is expected to improve the reliability and security of the Western Australian energy grid, allowing for the better integration of renewable energy sources such as wind and solar.
- KBESS2 will also provide ancillary services such as frequency control, which can help to maintain the stability of the electricity grid.
- The project is expected to allow for the faster integration of renewable energy sources into the grid, reducing the amount of time required to bring new renewable energy sources online.
- TagEnergy's Pitkevy Project: Powering Scotland's Clean Energy Future
- Balance Power's 40-MW Battery Project Approved in England
- TagEnergy Powers Up Pitkevy: Scotland's Sixth BESS Project
- CleanCo's 250-MW Tesla Battery Powers Queensland's Clean Energy
- New Mexico Co-op Partners with Guzman Energy for Solar-Battery Project