Dominion Energy Obtains Authorization for First Battery Storage Projects
- Dominion Energy Virginia has actually gotten authorization from the State Corporation Commission to progress with 4 battery storage space pilot projects
Dominion Energy Virginia has actually revealed that it has actually gotten authorization from the State Corporation Commission (SCC) of Virginia to move on with 4 battery storage space pilot projects to lead the way for added power storage space innovation required to sustain the business's dedication to accomplish net-zero carbon and also methane discharges by 2050, rise in renewables as well as to boost grid dependability.
The 4 utility-scale battery storage space pilot projects amounting to 16 megawatts (MW) are the biggest projects of their kind in Virginia. The firm will certainly use lithium-ion batteries, like those located in electrical automobiles, to much better recognize just how this arising modern technology can be incorporated right into different applications to profit its consumers.
" These projects are made it possible for by the Grid Transformation & Security Act of 2018, which enables Dominion Energy to buy approximately 30 megawatts of battery storage space pilot projects. As the business remains to raise its solar fleet-- presently the fourth-largest of any kind of utility holding business in the country-- and also construct out its overseas wind growth off the coastline of Virginia Beach, the business is trying to find ingenious as well as brand-new methods to keep the renewable resource it generates to keep dependable solution to consumers," the company provided in a declaration.
The 4 Central Virginia-based projects will certainly set you back about USD 33 million to build and also will certainly offer vital info on distinctive usage situations for batteries on the power grid. The pilots will certainly be reviewed over a five-year duration when functional, presently anticipated to be in the initial quarter of 2021.
- 2 battery systems amounting to 12 MW at the Scott Solar center in Powhatan County will certainly offer important info on the effectiveness of battery innovation to keep power produced from photovoltaic panels throughout durations of high manufacturing and also launch power throughout durations when the lots is solar or high generation is reduced. It would certainly likewise expose just how well a battery can optimize the power manufacturing of the solar center.
- A 2-MW battery at a substation in the Town of Ashland, Hanover County will certainly strengthen the existing grid capability to offer consumers throughout times of high power need without the requirement to take part in wholesale tools upgrades.
- A 2-MW battery at a substation in New Kent County offering a 20-megawatt solar center will certainly show exactly how batteries can aid take care of voltage as well as filling concerns triggered by reverse power circulation, to keep secure power shipment to our clients.
" Energy storage space is becoming a crucial element to fulfilling our consumers' requirements and also supplying ongoing grid security," stated Joe Woomer, Dominion Energy's vice head of state of the grid and also technological remedies. "Experience from these pilot projects will certainly make it possible for storage space to enhance or act as a choice to conventional grid improvements required to preserve trustworthy solution for our consumers as we function to enhance and also incorporate renewables grid resiliency."
- FRV to develop solar-plus-storage plant in Australia
- Australia's H2 Trade May be Worth US$ 90 billion in 2050: WoodMac
- Falck to get 60% of Italian power storage firm
- Rio Tinto studies eco-friendly hydrogen potential in Australia
- Researchers uncover how oxygen loss saps a lithium-ion battery's voltage